From original hand-painted tiles in the William Morris Gallery collection
Designed by Sir Edward Coley BURNE-JONES Bt (1833-1898) and painted by
Lucy FAULKNER ORRINSMITH
(1839-1910) for Morris, Marshall, Faulkner & Company.
Alceste was designed as part of a series of 2-tile panels depicting the heroines of Geoffrey Chaucer's
poem The Legend of Good Wimmen. Burne-Jones's designs date from in 1861-2 and several versions of the
series were made by the Morris firm. This figure of Alceste was part of the tiled fireplace in the hall
at Sandroyd, home of the artist John Roddam Spencer Stanhope (1829-1908) and the second building (after
Red House) designed by Philip Webb (1831-1915). The Sandroyd tiles are the earliest known to have been
painted for Morris, Marshall, Faulkner & Company by Lucy Faulkner. Lucy and Kate Faulkner (the latter
also a tile-painter and designer for Morris & Co.) were the sisters of Charles Faulkner, one of the
founding partners of 'the Firm'.
Alceste £29.99 framed and £19.99 unframed